Monday, July 29, 2013

Monogrammed Wine Glasses

    I was recently asked to monogram some wine glasses for a wedding gift.  These glasses were the ones the Bride and Groom were going to be using at the wedding for their toast.  I knew of several different ways I could achieve this by reading many different blogs over the years.  I purchased two wine glasses at Wal-Mart for .98 cents each.  These were nice large wine glasses for the price.  I already had a Cricut machine and plain contact paper to use as my stencil so all I needed now was the medium to color in the letters.  They weren't looking for them to be painted but wanted them to be frosted.  I had seen on one blog a while back where someone used the Frosted Glass spray paint to achieve this effect.  I tried this three different times trying to figure out what I was doing wrong but nevertheless this idea was a major FAIL!  I was trying to avoid buying the etching cream because I knew it was expensive and this was the only reason I would probably ever use it.  But alas, with one day left to complete the project before the big day I ran to Michael's with my 40% coupon in hand.  The coupon helped tremendously but it was still more than I wanted to pay.  After applying my stencils for the fourth time I made sure to apply a really thick and even application of the etching cream to the glasses and set my timer for 15 minutes.  Once the timer went off I just rinsed it off and TA-DA! Wonderfully monogrammed glasses!  I learned my lesson the hard way.  Instead of taking the easy route, which didn't work and put me in a time crunch I should have stuck with what I knew would work in the end, even if it did cost more.  Hopefully, you can learn from my mistake.  And now it looks like I will have lots of monogrammed gifts to give for Christmas now!


The finished etching cream glasses.

A close up of the glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment