Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Reupholstered Headboard

    I have been MIA for a while now because I am trying to work on my daughters bedroom.  She will be two in December and I so want her to have a big girl room now.  She slept in her convertible crib for a while but has slept in a full size bed for months now and seems to like it a lot better.  I know we have all seen many tutorials on how to reupholster a headboard so I hope to make this short and sweet and hopefully have the full bedroom reveal in a few weeks.  Please be patient with me, the lighting in her room is horrible and we are working on a fix for that.  If any one has any suggestions on what types of lighting to use (because she destroys side table lamps) please feel free to let me know!  First we will start with what the headboard first looked like......


     I found the eggshell foam for a full size bed at Wal-Mart, except it doesn't look like the old eggshell stuff I'm used to.  Here is a close up view......



   I cut his foam to fit the size of my headboard.  I wanted to make sure you couldn't feel any of the gaps in between those silver bars in the first picture.  We used the tacky foam spray on both the headboard and the foam and after a few minutes smashed them together to get a nice firm hold.  Then we took some batting and wrapped around the foam and the rest of the headboard to give a nice even and uniform look......

 This is my wonderful sister helping me on this two person project.

    Next came wrapping the fabric around the frame and making sure the tucks and folds looked as professional as possible.......

    The next part we tackled was adding the nail head trim to the front side of the head board to give it a more polished look.  We had lots of trouble because the nail heads that come with the trim were too small to go through all the layers of the fabric.  So at 11 pm we were digging for any nails we could find to help finish off the trim.  if you look close you can see the difference but not enough to bother me especially when you are looking from afar.  here is the nail head trim finishing off this headboard......



   Here are two more pics that are close ups of the nail head trim.......





    I am absolutely in love with the way it turned it out and almost wish it was my own headboard! :)
I am trying to use navy, green and some deeper yellows that I will show you in the next post I do about the $12 Goodwill toy trunk I found, can't wait!!  


Linking up here:



No comments:

Post a Comment